Monday, May 1, 2017

Out of Wonder: Poems Celebrating Poets (2017) by Kwame Alexander, Chris Colderley and Marjory Wentworth ( Candlewick) ; #IBRChildrenBooks

Regular readers know that we are seldom speechless—but that’s exactly what I was however when I finished Out of Wonder: Poems Celebrating Poets (2017) by Kwame Alexander, Chris Colderley and Marjory Wentworth. My powers of speech have definitely returned, but the awe has remained. There is so much that I love about this book that I hardly know where to start.
In his preface, Alexander quotes poet and author Lucille Clifton: “Poems come out of wonder, not out of knowing.” Alexander believes that by reading other poets’ work, we can find our own wonder. He, Colderley, and Wentworth have chosen 20 of their favorite poets to celebrate and introduce young readers to them and their work. Readers will be familiar with some of these poets, and some will be brand new, but each of the 20 poems written to honor them is a treasure box, a joy in itself, and a beautiful example of the celebrated poet’s work. Some of the poems are fanciful, some moving, some thoughtful. Together, they open door to a whole new world of expression. I loved all the poems, but my favorites include Marjory Wentworth’s “In Every Season,” celebrating Robert Frost, and Chris Colderley’s “No Idle Days,” celebrating William Carlos Williams.
And I love the artwork as much as I love the poems. Ekua Holmes has outdone herself here, creating perfect, vibrant interpretations of every tribute. Her collage illustrations burst from the pages. This is a book to give to any classroom teacher or young reader who loves words.

No comments:

Post a Comment