Sunday, August 19, 2018

Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site Hardcover – May 4, 2011 by Sherri Duskey Rinker (Author), Tom Lichtenheld (Illustrator) (chronicle Books) (IBRChildrensBooks)



You know, sometimes I could just kick myself for not finding out about some things sooner, especially such a terrific little book as this! When this book was published in 2011, I babysat full time for our oldest grandson while my daughter-in-law was in the work force, he was 3 years old and was HEAVY into Thomas the train. We'd begun a collection of diecast trains for him, along with the Island of Sodor's construction team (called "The Pack"), and each and EVERY day at naptime he would have to say "goodnight" to each and every one of them individually - this darling book does exactly that, saying an individual goodnight to the rough and tough crane, cement mixer, dump truck, bulldozer and excavator, who are all calming down and getting ready to call it a night (with all of the typical bedtime rituals included in the book - taking a bath, getting tucked in, curling/snuggling up, dimming the lights and shutting the door) - it would have been absolutely PERFECT!

We've added a couple of more grandsons since then, and though Mommy is now a full-time mom and I no longer get to partake in all of the traditional naptime rituals with our 4 or 2 year old grandsons (big brother's a 3rd grader already!), I went ahead and bought this for the youngest's 2nd birthday. Whether it's naptime or bedtime, the calming way this book is written coupled with the cute illustrations of the vehicles yawning, shutting their eyes, etc., is bound to be a sure-fire winner for any parent or grandparent tasked with helping a youngster to "Turn off your engines, stop your tracks, relax your wheels, your stacks, and backs. No more huffing and puffing, Team: It's time to rest your heads and dream. Construction site, all tucked in tight, the day is done, turn off the light. Great work today! Now... shh... goodnight." Even "tough" kids need their rest too!

Especially if read in a quiet, soothing tone, I can't think of a more perfect bedtime book. You know how seeing someone yawn usually makes you yawn yourself? I think that's the exact effect the illustrations will have... I'm just envious of my son and daughter-in-law for getting to be the ones to read it to him! (And if I raised my son right, he'll be reading this to my first grandDAUGHTER who's arriving in October in just a couple of years as well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment