Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Vegetarian Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity with Vegetables, Fruits, Grains, Legumes, Nuts, Seeds, and More, Based on the Wisdom of Leading American Chefs Hardcover by Karen Page (Little, Brown and Company) (IBRCookBooks)



This is one of my favorite books - cookbook or other. The concept of a flavor bible is fantastic for those of us that follow recipes lightly and make lots of substitutes. So easy to create flavorful meals based on what is available in kitchen or garden. Have a bunch of kale? Kale reference shows the flavorings that go best with kale and are scaled by significance with bold and capital letters (like garlic, sea salt, green onions, dried cranberries, and lemon). So many top chef curated dish combinations listed too. Honestly, this has transformed my cooking to a whole new level - even though I'm a home cook with limited time and resources. This is a fantastic cooking reference, but the best part is the beginning part of the book where the author explains her journey of interest in vegetarian foods. If that's not encouragement enough, she highlights the professional interest in vegetarian cuisine by top chefs in the field. Personally, I adopted vegan diet last year for health reasons. Switching to a new way of eating and cooking while keeping great flavors was very difficult. Vegetarian Food Bible was a great guide in the wilderness of new foods. I no longer feel like a food weirdo after reading of so many highly regarded food professionals switching to plant based preferences. I was so mesmerized by this book when I first got it. After poring through it for months, I still am. 5 stars is not enough for the Vegetarian Flavor Bible. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment