Monday, October 22, 2018

Scaredy Squirrel Paperback by Mélanie Watt (Author, Illustrator)(Kids Can Press) (IBRChildrensBooks)



"This book is one of those that I just can't put down. My favorite is when my dad reads it, 'wake up, eat a nut, look at a view, eat a nut...', he just does such a good job! Scaredy Squirrel is one of those characters you love instantly, I mean, he's really a flying squirrel! He can fly! How cool is that? And he's afraid of bee's and I am not a fan at all. I once had one sting me and my thumb swelled up like a balloon! So of course you want to stay away from those terrible bugs!

"My favorite part though has to be his emergency kit! He has everything you could ever need in there to keep away all the scary things you might encounter! Although I'm still not quite sure why he's afraid of sharks? I LOVE sharks! But my mom doesn't, so maybe it's an adult thing??? Anyway, the emergency kit! My mom and I even drew one up together. They have one you can print off on the website for the book and it is incredible! You have to try it out! Of course we included band-aids, just like squirrel, because they are my favorite thing to stick to my body (even if I don't have a 'good' reason for it, as my mom would say)!

"This is a definite must read with any guy or girl you know! Pick it up and enjoy Scaredy Squirrel's funny adventure!"

Mom's Two Cents: "The Turkeybird is right, this is one funny book! It was actually awarded the ALA's award for most Notable Children's Book in 2007 and I completely agree. My husband, The Baker, reads to The Turkeybird every night before bed as there time together the rest of the day is limited and this is something they love to do together. Well, at least every other night he asks for this book. I love to hear him chuckle in the other room as he see's Scaredy Squirrel fall from the tree to discover he can fly and that the world outside his tree isn't really as bad as he first thought.

"One of the funniest things about the book is all the crazy things Scaredy Squirrel is afraid of. I love it! Martians, killer bees, tarantulas, poison ivy, germs and sharks. Now, I do have to say, I'm not a fan of sharks, never have been, but Martians? Hilarious! But the truly great thing about it is, I know we all know a little boy or girl who is terrified of something so completely random and impossible that they will never truly be hurt by it, but that doesn't mean they can't fear it. The author mentioned this in her discussion of the book:

From the author: "Mélanie has often noted how the Scaredy Squirrel books helped her work out her own insecurities and fears, as the success of these titles has required her to venture out into the unknown, and like Scaredy she has found the experience truly uplifting."

"In reality, though this book is funny and entertaining it teaches a wonderful lesson to children of all ages. When we stay in our shells, be it our homes or a safe place (a job, a city, a rut, anything), we could be missing out on all the world has to offer us. In Scaredy Squirrel's case it was knowing he could fly and see more of the world around him. Granted he still has some other fears to overcome, but it's all about taking things one step at a time. And who couldn't use that?"

No comments:

Post a Comment