Monday, June 11, 2018

Authentic Portuguese Cooking: More Than 185 Classic Mediterranean-Style Recipes of the Azores, Madeira and Continental Portugal Hardcover – October 20, 2015 by Ana Patuleia Ortins (Page Street Publishing) (IBRCookBooks)



I have a large number of Portuguese cookbooks (and cookbooks from former Portuguese colonies) and Ana's cookbooks are the cream of the crop!

this cookbook is an amazing companion to her first book Portuguese Homestyle Cooking. both books not only give you detailed instructions on how to make some of the most tasty recipes they also give you a glimpse into her life growing up in a Portuguese household and community were family is the most important part of your life. Over the years I have searched for different Portuguese bread recipes to try, some were alright but most lacked the wisdom and experience that Ana has. Her recipes are tried and true and the end results are incredible. Portuguese cooking is as varied as the country itself and Ana has brought so many recipes from different regions of Portugal in to this cookbook that you can cook your way through gastronomical tour of Portugal. The Portuguese have a word 'Saudade" melancholic longing or yearning some of us have this for a dish that our mother or fathers may have made when we were children, but alas they never wrote it down and now they are gone and the the recipe with them. Ana has put so many recipes from my childhood, that the smells and taste take me into my memories as if it were yesterday. I like to bake bread and this cookbook has given me so many different recipes to try and expand my horizons in baking because she has done all the trial an error for me. Cooking is not just about eating it's also about sharing your time, and making memories that is why like Ana's father I try and spend my time cooking and baking with my kids teaching the not only how to cook but the many traditions that go with the Portuguese and their food. I can not recommend this cookbook and her first book.

No comments:

Post a Comment