Sunday, May 20, 2018

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (Author), Tony Darnell (Editor) (Vintage Classics)



Great ghost story which I was inspired to read from growing up watching the innocents with Deborah Kerr, there is something so eerie and terrifying about a classic black and white film that makes you want to hide behind your pillow before special effects existed. I looked it up and found out it was based on a Henry James novel, so out of complete curiosity and the fact being my favorite genre is classic novels I was excited to read this story. Some of my favorite authors happen to include Oscar Wilde and Thomas Hardy I thought this book would suite me perfectly. I'll start off with the positives and that being it is gripping and absolutely terrifying! I found myself resorting to shutting the closet door so I wouldn't feel like something was watching me as I read. 

This novel is narrated from the perspective of a governess hired to move to the country at an estate called Bly and look after the two children residing there. The children are brother and sister Flora and Miles who are the niece and nephew of the man who hires the governess,after their parents died and the estranged uncle can't be bothered to raise them. The governess soon falls in love with Flora the young girl and later falls equally in love with Miles after she meets him later when he is kicked out of an all boys boarding school, for reasons he won't share or discuss. Mrs. Grose is the housekeeper at Bly and has worked there for years, she soon becomes fast friends with the governess and they share and very strong relationship throughout the story. Soon we find out that our governess wasn't the first hired by the children's uncle and there was a terrible accident involving the last governess Miss. Jessel who was found dead in the pond that Flora loves to play by and that Flora was very fond of Miss. Jessel. As James governess begins to settle she starts to see strange things that begin surprisingly with her seeing a strange man among the grounds who is later revealed to be Peter Quint a man hired around the time of Miss. Jessel, who also turns out to have passed away shortly before Miss. Jessel. As the governess begins to have sightings of both these ghosts now roaming Bly she slowly learns the story behind their deaths she learns the dark history they share, fearing what these ghosts want and whether or not the children know of their presence makes this story gripping until the end. 

The reason I gave this book only 4 stars even though I really enjoyed the story is I'm not a huge fan of Henry James writing style. I found it somewhat hard to follow and maybe even a little bit scattered at times, the narrative was a little easier as I settled into the story but I had to reread certain parts to stay on point and going the direction I knew James wanted me to go. All in all it is a gripping and compelling read and I believe most people would not be able start this book without finishing it, you may just feel yourself sorting through details and lovely words to understand what James is trying to say. Another fun bonus is watching The Innocents after reading it, it's always fun reading a story and then seeing it brought to life after.

No comments:

Post a Comment