Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Golden: Sweet & Savory Baked Delights from the Ovens of London's Honey & Co. Hardcover – November 1, 2016 by Itamar Srulovich (Author), Sarit Packer (Author) (Little, Brown and Company) (IBRCookBooks)



Golden is another beautiful cookbook from Honey & Co. In fact, it's the exact same cookbook as Honey & Co. The Baking Book, which was released in the UK last year. I wish that fact were made apparent anywhere in the publishers description, because I already own the UK version, and there's nothing new here. The only real difference is the use of F instead of C for the oven temperatures. Both books specify ingredients in grams/ml only. Don't own the UK version? Golden is definitely worth the money.

I've made the ijjeh (herb frittata), orange tahini soft pretzels, chocolate sandwich cookies with tahini cream, roasted pepper lahma, chocolate hazelnut cinnamon krantz loaf (akin to homemade nutella babka) and the coffee cardamom walnut cake from Golden. Getting the hang of making the pretzels took me a while, and some of the recipes are quite involved. However, everything was delicious and eventually I'd like to make virtually every recipe. Most of these recipes can be made within an hour or two, even more if you don't count rise time. Almost everything I've made from Honey & Co (Book 1) and Golden (Book 2) has turned out to be richly-flavored, satisfying, crave-able, and completely outside of the types of dishes I usually make for myself. The flavor combinations are creative and unusual, yet homey and comforting as well. The only recipe that hasn't turned out for me was their potato bread in Book 1, and that was likely my mistake somewhere along the way (or my sad potato). My old roommate was from Israel, and these recipes have earned his seal of approval too.

No comments:

Post a Comment