Friday, September 14, 2018

The Batsford Book of Chess for Children Hardcover – February 4, 2014 by Sabrina Chevannes (Batsford) (IBRChildrensBooks)



 have always wanted to learn Chess but, had never taken the time to do it. When my daughter expressed interest in learning Chess after purchasing a Checker/Chess set, I began watching a few tutorials and looking at different books to help us learn the game. I found that most tutorials assume that you know basic Chess language and vocabulary and the instruction left me confused quickly. I read a review of this book written by a grandmother who had purchased it for her grandson and I thought I would give it a try. My daughter and I LOVE this book! The conversational style that it is written in has helped us pick up the language of Chess and the little hints that the characters give to  help you remember details about the board, the way the pieces move, and how to win are extremely helpful. We are especially enjoying the mini games that are designed to teach you how to master the way each piece moves around the board before moving on to a new piece. The difficulty level increases and it "eases you into" learning a full blown game of Chess. My daughter is a teenager but, we are hoping to use this book to help my 6 year old learn as well. The book is well written, engaging, and illustrated in a fun, playful style. I highly recommend it for all ages who are looking to learn Chess.

No comments:

Post a Comment