Thursday, September 27, 2018

The Dead Moms Club: A Memoir about Death, Grief, and Surviving the Mother of All Losses Paperback – November 21, 2017 by Kate Spencer (Seal Press)



If your mother has died- buy this book. Mine died 5 1/2 years ago when I was 22 and I wish it was out when I was first grieving. It was still a fantastic and life changing read for me even this far into my grief journey. As with any good book- I laughed, I cried, and I laughed so hard I started crying, I cried so hard I started laughing. I honestly can't really put into words what this book has done for me. If you are looking at buying this book, please do. You wont regret it. Being in the Dead Mom Club sucks, but reading books like this make it suck a little less. I know I will be re-reading this book for years to come.

I have read probably at least 20 books on grief over the years, and they have never really fully resonated with me because of losing my mom at such a young age. A lot are directed towards grief in a general way, which is fine, but don't cover all bases for me. Especially since most don't talk about the way that grief changes you into a ball of anger and resentment. Your tolerance for normal things goes down and your temper goes up. The author talks about this in a really honest way that makes me feel way less of a horrible person for the things I've said and done during the past 5 years.

She has also validated the thought I have ALWAYS had- there is NO closure for grieving your dead mom. Does the overwhelming grief and sadness and general "How can I live my whole life without my mother" feelings subside? Yes, because time really does heal. But you will never "get over" the loss of your mother, period. There's nothing wrong with that. Your grief doesn't just go away one day, its not something you can check off your to-do list. Its really a journey. Tangent aside, you owe it to yourself to buy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment