Sunday, April 29, 2018

The G-Free Diet: A Gluten-Free Survival Guide Paperback – January 5, 2011 by Elisabeth Hasselbeck (Center Street)



When I was first diagnosed with a gluten allergy, after many years of wondering why I was sick all the time, I was overwhelmed. Eliminate gluten from my diet? Permanently? I asked a friend who had been diagnosed five years earlier for help in navigating the wealth of information available. She immediately recommended this book. I was skeptical, as I don't usually agree with Hasselbeck's political views, but they are not on display here. Just good, basic, introductory information to help with the transition from gluten-filled to gluten-free.

The chapters on cross-contamination, what to do when dining out at restaurants or at events like weddings and holiday parties were especially helpful. You'll need to find other resources for diet plans and recipes if needed; this is a weak area. I found her writing to be clear and conversational, like a girlfriend dishing dirt over a cup of coffee. "The G-Free Diet: A Gluten-Free Survival Guide" is as good a place as any to begin understanding how to thrive without gluten.

No comments:

Post a Comment