Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Aftermath: Star Wars (Star Wars: The Aftermath Trilogy) Paperback – March 29, 2016 by Chuck Wendig (Del Rey)



I'm a big fan of Star Wars books. I've read through a total of 85 novels including books in the old Expanded Universe (now called Legends) and in the new canon. Most I found extremely enjoyable reads (see below for a list of some favorites), and even the ones with the most implausible plot points (examples: The Crystal Star, Darksaber) I had no trouble finishing and still enjoyed parts of them.

This one, I could not finish. At first I thought I just needed to adjust to the author's style, but after slogging past halfway there was no improvement.
I couldn't find the characters likable or intriguing. They seemed to have simple motivations and would act on them with no subtlety at all. Overhear someone in your rebel-aligned group confess they had been an Imperial officer at Endor? Charge into the room and throttle them! Even non-original characters are affected. Every scene with Admiral Ackbar seems to be there so he can advise caution and worry about things being traps.

Every few pages I would hit something that completely smashed my suspension of disbelief causing me to have to look away from the page and take a break. Things like:

-An asteroid field setting which apparently was once a comet in the Outer Rim of the galaxy. This comet was on course to destroy multiple Core region worlds, until a large number of Jedi gave their lives and/or sanity breaking it apart with the Force to save the day. Does the author know what a comet is?
-Several of the main characters escaping from a mixed mob of stormtroopers and criminal gangsters in a bar alley. One arrives with a getaway hover bike and all but one fit on. The solution for the last character? Grab some chain, tie it to the body of an alien they had just shot, and surf along the street to freedom and safety.
-A main character's inner monologue is wondering why they have to be so involved with the Rebellion, and can't just be peaceful like the Bith couple they are watching on a nearby rooftop. Immediately a TIE flies overhead and the couple angrily wave fists and yell, futilely shooting blaster-fire at the fighter.

These kinds of facepalm-inducing plot points made it impossible to believe or stay immersed in the story. Between that and how simple-minded the characters were, it felt like I was listening to a tabletop roleplay session, where the GM and the players are all black-out drunk and I was stuck as the designated driver. Wookiepedia lists a factoid saying Wendig wrote this book in under 45 days, and it really, really shows.

My recommendation: Don't let this be your first, and maybe therefore last :( , Star Wars book. Don't let the bestseller status mislead you. This was supposed to be the new "What happens after Return of the Jedi?" book. Any book in that position would sell well, even if it were written by a cat with a pen name walking on a keyboard. I checked this book out from the library, and am glad I did not buy it. If you want to enjoy reading a Star Wars book, this is probably not the one. I've put some favorites below, and any of those would serve you well. Lost Stars and Tarkin are in the new canon while the rest are in the old Expanded Universe.

Some favorites:
Lost Stars
Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command
Specter of the Past
Vision of the Future
Outbound Flight
Path of Destruction
Rule of Two
Dynasty of Evil
Tarkin
I, Jedi
Jedi Search
Dark Apprentice
Champions of the Force

No comments:

Post a Comment