Monday, June 11, 2018

Not Your Mama's Canning Book: Modern Canned Goods and What to Make with Them Paperback – July 19, 2016 by Rebecca Lindamood (Page Street Publishing) (IBRCookBooks)



I have been waiting for this book to land on my front step. Full disclosure: I am a Foodie With Family FanGirl. If there was a t-shirt, I would own it and wear it straight from the dryer every time. So yes, I expected that I would enjoy Rebecca's cookbook.

But seriously, y'all, I had no idea about how much I would love Not Your Mama's Canning Book. Pro tip: when you add it to your cart, choose napkins or paper towels as an add-on item so that you can daintily dab away the drool that is inevitably and spontaneously going to erupt from your face. I know, pictures of food in jars, how good can that really be, Pamela? BLESS YOUR HEART. Cranberry ketchup. Candied jalapeños. Vanilla fig jam. Korean barbeque sauce. Stuff with booze for extra beauty.

Hand on the Bible, I haven't swooned this hard for a cookbook since Yotam Ottolenghi's "Jerusalem".

Here's the reason that this book is the canning book you buy this year: Not only are there enormously delicious recipes (Bourbon Brown Sugar Peaches, I'm looking at you), the second half of the book is recipes that use up the things you've canned. I was raised a Ball Canning Girl, but what's the point of making your fancy schmancy homemade whatevers if you don't use them? It's a lot of time and effort wasted to have a cupboard full of pretty but useless jars. There is not one useless canning recipe in this book. Each canning recipe is a major ingredient in a soup, salad, entree, or dessert. This cookbook gives your canning hobby a legit end game. You not only get to experience the sweaty joy that is canning, but you are given extremely desirable ways to eat what you've canned.

No comments:

Post a Comment