Tuesday, May 15, 2018

The Great Revolt: Inside the Populist Coalition Reshaping American Politics Hardcover – May 8, 2018 by Salena Zito and Brad Todd ) (Crown Forum)



As a lifelong progressive liberal, to say I was disappointed in the 2016 election would be a gross understatement. I was also deeply, deeply confused...OK, maybe rattled and depressed are more accurate descriptions. How on earth could such a thing have happened?! But more than a progressive, I am an American, and I care deeply, as we all do, about the future of our country. That's why this book is so essential. I believe it is vital that we seek to understand and not alienate one another. Zito and Todd are proxies for the conversations I'd love to have with people whose life experiences are very different from my own. Were the sentiments sometime hard to hear, much less empathize with? Of course. But, they, too, are Americans who care about our future, and I'm better for hearing their reasoning for why they voted as they did. Other reviewers have said that this is a great political book, and it is, but it resonated with me the way my favorite sociology classes did: providing true insight into sometimes overlooked parts of our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment